Date: Wednesday 5 October 2016, from 18:30 – 20:00.
Venue: The Hague Institute for Global Justice (Sophialaan 10, The Hague).
- Aaron Matta, Senior Researcher at the Hague Institute for Global Justice, will lead the conversation with:
- Edward Fitzgerald QC, joint head of Doughty Street Chambers and member of Doughty Street International.
- Professor Jennifer Trahan, Associate Professor at NYU.
- Sadakat Kadri, author and barrister at Doughty Street Chambers.
- Maya Foa, Director of Reprieve’s Death Penalty team.
The panel will debate some topical issues in relation to the (in)consistencies between the death penalty and international (human rights) law, including the use of the mandatory death penalty, the linkage between the International Criminal Court and the death penalty, capital punishment under international and Islamic law, and the use of specific methods of applying the death penalty as cruel and unusual punishment.
In order to register, please click here.